- significant reductions in maternal mortality;
- increased advocacy on the elimination of violence against women; and
- legislative, policy and programmatic efforts to fulfill women’s right to education, and constitutional and legal right to inherit.
- Think tank:
We undertake cutting-edge research and analysis to support decision-makers in member States by identifying, developing and implementing the right policy and programme responses to gender inequalities and barriers to women’s empowerment. Some of our flagship publications include:
- The flagship African Women’s Report looks at topical challenges to gender equality and women’s empowerment in the changing world and recommends suitable actions to accelerate inclusive growth;
- TheAfricanGender and Development Index measures the progress made by member States in implementing their gender equality commitments and related policy options; and
- The Africa Gender Index – jointly developed with the African Development Bank – is the most comprehensive measurement of the state of gender equality across African countries. Its first edition, produced in 2020, covered 51 of the 53 African countries.
Our operational assistance focuses on assisting member States in implementing their gender equality commitments. We organize in-country activities to improve policy and programme design, enhance implementation capacity and strengthen institutional development. This assistance is delivered at the request of governments and is tailored to their unique context, with a focus on sustainability. Assistance is offered in various ways, including:
- The application of tailored policy tools and guidelines for member States;
- The exchange of country, regional and global good practices;
- The undertaking of research, feasibility studies and targeted capacity-building activities; and
- The national review of the implementation of international agreements;
- Convening power
Our team brings together a wide spectrum of stakeholders to coordinate and mobilize action on regional and international agreements that require cross-border collaboration. Our convening activities are a vital opportunity for representatives from governments, academia, civil society and the private sector to discuss common challenges, explore policy options, foster partnerships and build regional consensus. Our key events include:
- The Africa Regional Consultations on the Commission on the Status of Women;
- The statutory meeting of the Committee on Social Policy, Poverty and Gender; and
- The Africa regional review of the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action.
Committee on Gender and Social Development
Related Links and Resources